New to Topcoder ... BUT am I in the right place?

3 posts Sat, Nov 6, 2021 at 07:54 PM in New Here & Getting Started

Hello All,

I just joined the Topcoder community a few minutes ago. Previously, I spent a couple of hours browsing the Topcoder site, FAQs, articles, and frankly I've not been able to find answers to my questions. As a result, I'm not sure if joining Topcoder is right for me.

I'm going to pose some questions, and I hope the community will be able to help me find answers that I've not been able to find myself.

1. I have been searching for gigs using https://www.topcoder.com/gigs, and the search UI on that page is very limited. I expected there would be more filters, or perhaps an advanced search interface. Is there a way to search for gigs that includes more options besides being able to search for title, skills, and / or location?
  2. When I open up a particular gig, there is information at the top of the page about the expected hours per week, e.g., "Hours 40 hours / week". Is there a way to search, filter, or sort based on this data point?
  3. In your estimation, what percentage of all gigs on Topcoder can be considered to be part-time? For example, 30, 20, or 10 hours a week?
  4. In your estimation, what percentage of all gigs on Topcoder are less than 4 weeks in duration?

Thank you so much for all your help.

Best,
JPG.

View: Threaded  |  Flat
+0

Comments

• 1498 posts Sun, Nov 7, 2021 at 04:08 AM

Hi @jpgguy,

First of all, welcome to Topcoder. I am checking your questions above with the person in charge for this, we will get back to you asap. Thank you for the questions and please wait for a moment.

Best Regards,

Fajar Maulana H
    Topcoder Community Manager

+0
  • 3 posts Sun, Nov 7, 2021 at 09:09 PM

Hi Fajar,

Thanks so much for your reply. I really appreciate you taking steps to find some answers for me.

Best,
    JPG.

+0
  • 62 posts Tue, Nov 9, 2021 at 10:45 AM

Hi @jpgguy

My name is Korie and I am the Gig work community manager. Welcome to Topcoder and thank you for these questions. I am happy to answer these:

1. I have been searching for gigs using https://www.topcoder.com/gigs, and the search UI on that page is very limited. I expected there would be more filters, or perhaps an advanced search interface. Is there a way to search for gigs that includes more options besides being able to search for title, skills, and / or location? This is great feedback and we have recently launched a UX team and I will bring this to their attention

2. When I open up a particular gig, there is information at the top of the page about the expected hours per week, e.g., "Hours 40 hours / week". Is there a way to search, filter, or sort based on this data point? You are able to search by weeks/duration however at this time, hours per week are not in this scope. I will also give this feedback to the UX team and if you are every looking for more information on a GIg we would be happy to help you if you would like to email Gigwork@topcoder.com

3. In your estimation, what percentage of all gigs on Topcoder can be considered to be part-time? For example, 30, 20, or 10 hours a week? We have more fulltime or up to 40 hour a week Gigs, where we do have part time ones as well they are not as abundant as the full time opportunities. We do like to share the PT gigs when they come either in the forums or newsletter as we know those are of interest to our members.

4. In your estimation, what percentage of all gigs on Topcoder are less than 4 weeks in duration?
      Thank you so much for all your help. This is forever changing, we have new gigs daily so there could be times where a 4 week or under gig is a high percentage

I am always happyt to answer any questions you have, again post questions here or email me at Gigwork@"topcoder.com"
    Again, welcome and looking forward to seeing your journey at Topcoder.

Korie

+0
  • 3 posts Mon, Nov 15, 2021 at 10:25 PM

Hi Korie,

Thank you so much for your detailed replies to my questions. I do have a follow-up question regarding:

@KorieWit said:
    **You are able to search by weeks/duration ...

How can I do this? I tried a few different combinations with some success but not much. For example, if I type "52 weeks" in the search bar, I only see one gig returned, whereas it's obvious by merely browsing there are many gigs that have that duration.

Thanks,
    JPG.

+1
  • 62 posts Fri, Dec 3, 2021 at 02:15 PM

Hi @jpgguy,

I am sorry for just seeing this follow up. If you type just the number for 52 weeks just enter 52 in the search bar or for 24 weeks just 24. It will filter them out.

Always happy to answer questions!

Thanks,
    Korie

+0