Marathon ratings (again)

86 posts Sun, Aug 7, 2022 at 11:32 PM in General Marathon Discussions

This had been discussed many times...
Ratings are something that many competitors still care.

Unfortunately, marathon ratings are not being updated properly:

• It takes a lot of time. Sometimes it takes months instead of minutes, after results are published.
  • Sometimes ratings are updated in some places but are not reflected in others (like the main profile page).
  • Sometimes there are clear errors (like a few competitors are not included in the calculation).

Currently, the most recent marathon displayed in the profiles is MM133, which happened in January.

View: Threaded  |  Flat
+4

Comments

• 403 posts Fri, Aug 19, 2022 at 11:53 AM

Small update. It turns out the MM ratings have been updated in the database a few months ago, but this information was not reflected on the site. The database loader ran out of memory and so couldn't load the ratings correctly. It's cache has been cleared to free up space, which should fix the problem. We are still investigating this issue, but hopefully the ratings will be updated on the site soon. We sincerely apologize for the lengthy delay.

+0/-1
  • 403 posts Mon, Aug 22, 2022 at 05:28 AM

Ratings have been updated on the website now up to MM 136. Please let us know if you see any issues.

+1/-1
  • 86 posts Wed, Sep 21, 2022 at 01:41 PM

Well, nobody reads this forum nowadays, but I would like to make a last comment here.
    The current rating status is completely insane!

Ratings should take minutes to be updated, not several months.
    We are in MM140 and ratings are still in MM136 (with some places showing different information).
    If it is taking that long, it means the process is completely wrong and painful.
    At this point, it is probably better to give up and announce that marathon ratings won't be updated anymore.

Not surprisingly, ongoing MM140 features a very interesting problem, but only 30 members submitted (the lowest I can remember).
    At the same time, a similar type of competition is running in another website, and 500 people submitted so far.

+1
  • 403 posts Sat, Sep 24, 2022 at 09:51 AM

We have updated ratings up to and including MM 140. We have also updated the TCO leaderboard. Please check and lets us know if you see any inconsistencies.

+3
  • 96 posts Mon, Sep 26, 2022 at 01:57 PM edited Sep 26, 2022 at 02:13 PM

The colors on the TCO leaderboard are off (I think they are from March 2021), apart from that it matches with my own computations.

Edit: when does the graph on the profile page update? The rating at the top shows 2491 while the graph only goes up to 2187.

+1
  • 138 posts Fri, Sep 30, 2022 at 09:40 AM

I also see similar inconsistencies as @eulerscheZahl. On my profile page I see a rating of 1946, however the rating history graph's last entry is MM132 from January 2022 with a value of 1981. I did participate in multiple marathons since MM132 and those don't seem to be reflected on the graph (which could be a purely rendering issue as the graph tries to capture 16 years of history in a fairly small image)

+0