How do people self-motivate when learning code?

1 posts Wed, Aug 17, 2022 at 07:34 AM edited Aug 17, 2022 at 07:37 AM in New Here & Getting Started

Hello everyone. Richard is my name, and I'm new to software and web development. I'm attempting to navigate this difficult terrain of code learning and appear to have a mountain of duties to perform in order to polish my skills. Finding the correct strategy and incentive to keep me on this software development career path is the key problem. My biggest question at this stage in my learning is how successful software engineering gurus deal with issues of self-motivation and the desire to quit.

View: Threaded  |  Flat
+0

Comments

• DaraKDaraK Re: How do people self-motivate when learning code? (response to post by rick10000)
    479 posts Tue, Jan 30, 2024 at 03:47 PM edited Jan 30, 2024 at 03:48 PM

Hi Richard,
    Welcome to Topcoder! It's great to hear about your journey. Your concerns about navigating the learning curve and staying motivated are very common among beginners. Firstly, remember that every expert was once a beginner. The path to becoming a skilled software engineer is indeed challenging, but it's filled with opportunities for growth and learning. Here are a few tips to help you stay motivated and overcome the urge to quit:

1. Set realistic goals - start small and have manageable goals every day
    2. Practice daily - building the habit of developing every day will make the complex concepts easier and in addiiton you might get solutions to your problems while you're not focusing on them
    3. Build small projects: it's always exciting to build something and see it working and a simple app or website it's something you can use for your portfolio too
    4. Connect with other developers on forums or in coding gorups as they can provide feedback, support and motivation.
    5. Last but not least, remember your Why - why did you start to code in first place? maybe it's passion for technology or building things, keep your goal in mind

Good luck!

+0