New Navigation on Topcoder!

431 posts Wed, Feb 1, 2023 at 12:09 PM in Topcoder News & Updates

The Topcoder team has been hard at work to make your experience on our platform better. Our new navigation is now released to ensure you can always get to where you need to be.

This huge undertaking with the help of many Topcoder members and a few incredible teams. Please be sure to check it out and let us know if you have any feedback.

View: Threaded  |  Flat
+2

Comments

• macs054macs054 Re: New Navigation on Topcoder! (response to post by jmpld40)
    161 posts Thu, Feb 2, 2023 at 06:51 PM

The behavior seems to be inconsistent between different pages?

In topcoder.com you will see the nav when you hover on Customer or Talent and everything is in there.

And then in /customer or /talent you'll have to hover over on each of the subheaders to see the links under them.

In pages like /challenges, /gigs, and here on the forums the nav is totally gone, hovering does nothing. I had to go to Talent or Customer page just to be able to navigate again (if logged out).

Granted we have the menu that is beside the handle but that only appears when logged in. When logged out the navigation experience is bad because I have to jump between different pages. And since topcoder always logs me out I mostly browse the site without logging in unless I have to join a challenge or use the forums.

Also, the Challenges link from the nav directs you to https://www.topcoder.com/community/practice instead of https://www.topcoder.com/challenges
    Challenges link

Hovering over the first subheaders only works on Talent and The Community page. In Learn, Earn, Compete, Connect, and Benefits page they are not working.
    Hovering

The nav doesn't appear when hovering Customer or Talent from About Us page.

There is also no link from the nav to access TCO23 (there was one in the old nav).

These are just what I found and in my opinion this feels like a step backward compared to the old nav we had before (in terms of user experience).

+1
  • Oanh.TranOanh.Tran Re: New Navigation on Topcoder! (response to post by jmpld40)
    22 posts Fri, Feb 3, 2023 at 05:39 PM

Hi @macs054 for taking the time to provide your feedback. I'll take take some of these back to my team for discussion.

One of the painpoints the new navigation aleviates was the confusing and frustrating expeience of getting to different parts of the platform and key tools and often getting stuck there. Additionally, the old nav did not have a marketing experience for potential members and did not effectively show the benefits of joining Topcoder.

Lastly, the intention is to differientiate the experience for logged in and logged out users. The top nav menu is targeted to logged out users both Customers and Members. Those links lead to static content pages whereas logged in users will mostly use the rainbow tool switcher as that provides quicklinks to key platform tools and applications.

We are going to change the behavior so that hovering over /customer or /talent will show the links under those them. We will also update the marketing page that the Challenge link the nav take users to.

This is the first release of the Universal Navigation. It will continue to change as we continuallly make improvements to it.

+1